Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Life of an Out of Market Fan...

As someone who has developed an almost inexplicable love for the Green Bay Packers while living in California I have come to accept my plight as an out of market fan.  Since I rent a room in a person's house and that person doesn't have directTV I am unable to subscribe to NFL sunday ticket.  This means that if I want to watch a Packer game during a week that we are not nationally televised I have two options.  I can go spend money I don't necessarily have at a local bar that does have NFL sunday ticket or I can site glued to my laptop searching through countless live feeds on the internet trying to find a serviceable stream of the game.

Most of these feeds get shut down mid game which only adds to the frustration.  There are always the games that we, as fans, "must" see.  Today's game between the Green Bay Packers and the San Francisco 49ers was one such game.  Being from a town in northern California most of my friends and family are fans of the Squared Sevens and I follow them casually as long as they aren't playing my Packers.  When these teams play I feel doubly compelled to watch the game so I can interact with friends and family that will also be watching the game.  So, do I go to the bar or do I search for the stream?

This really wasn't a question for me as I knew I wasn't leaving the house.  I've been sick all week and there is no way I was going to a bar to spend money nor drink beer nor possibly infect others with my cold.  This meant that I needed to find a stream of the game and needed to find it fast.  I have a couple go to sites that I check for the games, the most reliable of which is JTV, which is a site I am on at least once a weekend if the Packers aren't nationally televised.  Then there are the apps that stream feeds you can use but those require downloads and sometimes registration and sometimes come with risks.  This Sunday I was scouring JTV for the Packer game and found only one, which was an audioless feed of someone with a web came pointed at their TV set.  It was better than nothing.  Then that feed was shut down before half time leaving me with nothing and sending me back to the search engines.  I eventually found a decent feed on an application player (TVU) and was happy watching this feed for the rest of the first half.  Then this feed was taken down and I was once again cast asunder with no hope in sight.

Eventually I found my last feed of the day through extensive search engine research and couldn't even tell you where I found it nor probably find it again myself (probably should have bookmarked that for future reference, damn).  Anyhow, the point of all of this...to any out of market fans out there, I feel your pain and I am in the same boat as you.  It is a crappy, warped, and leaky excuse for a schooner but at least we have the faith to keep it afloat.

Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments: