Tuesday, January 12, 2010

NFL Playoffs, Round 2

First thing's first, anybody who knows me knows that I was quite disappointed with how that Packers @ Cardinals game turned out.  As a Packer fan I can say I wasn't entirely ticked off that they didn't call the face mask on that final play in overtime.  Yeah, it would have continued the game on the personal foul but really when that kind of play is happening you will almost never see that call made.  The same way you will rarely see a foul on a desperation heave in the final seconds of a game in the NBA.  I was, however, very disappointed in the missed pass by Aaron Rodgers that sailed right over the head of a wide open Greg Jennings who had nobody behind of him and would have won the game had Rodgers hit him.  That was the toughest part of overtime for me, despite the incredibly rare ending.

Ok, with that behind us we can move on to the week ahead of us.  There are some very interesting games this weekend that could prove to provide a fruitfully entertaining NFL weekend instead of the 3 out of 4 duds that were the wild card round.  Let's take a look at each game by game...

Arizona Cardinals @ New Orleans Saints
We'll start with the victors of last week's lone thriller, the Cardinals take their high powered passing game to The Big Easy.  Waiting for them there is the also high flying attack of the Saints led by gun slinger Drew Brees.  For me, this matchup boils down to one thing.  Defense.  Wait...what?!?!  Yes, that is right friends...defense.  After last week's game for Arizona it has become abundantly clear that when two offenses are clicking it boils down to which defense makes that one big play.  I also think that, despite the stats saying otherwise the Saints have a more solid defense.  Or at least more consistent, as Arizona seems to be off and on from week to week depending on where they are playing and the level of team they are playing.  So I think the combination of playing on the road and against a very good Saints team (regardless of their recent struggles that are being plugged in the media) I give the edge to New Orleans in this one.

Baltimore Ravens @ Indianapolis Colts
The second Saturday game finds the favorite home team Colts hosting a Baltimore team that is coming of a good old fashioned beat down of New England in round one.  So, the real question of the week seems to be if the Ravens can keep their momentum rolling or if they are going to have a let up at the wrong time as the Colts will take advantage of any miscues.  Perhaps Ray Rice isn't the league MVP but he has to be the Baltimore MVP as I don't think any single player is as important to their team as this little guy with a big engine has been this year.  He is tough to bring down despite his small frame and when he gets into space he is even harder to catch.  He is not nearly as dynamic, but he reminds me a little of Barry Sanders in that regard.  Everyone seems to think that the Colts are gonna win this game.  I am not so convinced.  I saw a very confident Ravens team on both sides of the ball against the Patriots and I think we are going to see the same team this weekend.  I am not saying this is going to be another walk for Baltimore but I have to say, I am confident this team can take down the Colts.  I am going to take the Ravens based on their defense and their running game.  I think they'll make a conscious effort to take the air out of the ball and control the clock on the ground.

Dallas Cowboys @ Minnesota Vikings
As a Packer fan I have an intense rooting interest in this one and I wouldn't feel right picking a winner as there is absolutely no way I could be objective with Captain Flip Flop quarterbacking the Vikings.  I'll just throw a couple of points out that affect my opinion of this game.  The Cowboys are actually playing well at the right time for once in Wade Phillips' career.  I hate both of these teams but my hate for the Vikings (and Bears) trumps any hate I have for a non-divisional opponent.  My dad is a Vikings fan and after this weekend I really want to return the phone call I got from him.  I think that is about all I've got, besides GO COWBOYS (I will never say that again I am pretty sure).

New York Jets @ San Diego Chargers
New Jersey's B squad has a long flight but will surely enjoy the weather when they arrive in my current city of residence.  That might be the only thing they enjoy on the weekend though.  San Diego is clearly the better team in most aspects of the game.  The Jets defense is better overall, especially with the best defensive back left in the playoffs (now that Defensive POY Charles Woodson is out) on their side in Revis.  Even with the Jets' stout defense I find it hard to believe that they are going to be able to stop all the weapons the Chargers have including LT, Sproles, Gates, and Jackson.  Not to mention that Phillip Rivers is playing out of his mind this year, like every other year, for that matter.  We really shouldn't be surprised at this fact anymore.  Despite Eli Manning's ring the Chargers got the better end of that deal in my opinion because the Giants won their Superbowl because of their defensive front while if the Chargers win a Superbowl this year it will be in large part to Rivers.  I just think the Chargers are going to score more than the Jets offense with a rookie QB is going to be able to keep up with.  If I were a betting man, I would take the Chargers in a close game for about a half with San Diego pulling away late.

Hope everyone enjoyed the first round of the playoffs and enjoys the second round a lot more than I liked the first weekend.  Chargers are my rooting interest with the Packers out, so I will take this opportunity to apologize to San Diego Charger fans now since my teams haven't won a championship since the Packers Superbowl victory in 1996.

No comments: